Harvest is an independent software company making tools that help businesses run more smoothly. For the past 12 years, our customers have relied on our products as a critical part of their day-to-day operations. They’re the reason we’re still in business and we owe it to them to operate our business smartly and responsibly.
The Harvest team started as a team of 3 and grew slowly to today’s current total of 53 lovely faces. Though we have an office in NYC, we hire the best people for the job no matter where they may call home. We work hard to make sure everyone feels included and heard. And we offer great benefits, including a profit-sharing bonus, a generous vacation policy, and much more.
What will you be doing as our Finance Manager?
You’ll be a critical member of the Business team, working closely with Operations and Human Resources to keep Harvest’s back office running smoothly.
You’ll learn more about the role below, but here’s the short version:
- You’ll love this job if you want to help drive Harvest’s business forward while being an excellent organizational steward. We’ll succeed together by striving for operational excellence, demonstrating sound judgment about resources, and protecting Harvest's interests.
- We’ll love you if you know a ton about finance and accounting, have a high degree of integrity, are a thoughtful and supportive teammate, take pride in your work, and continually want to get better.
- Given the requirements of this job, we are only able to accept applications from U.S.-based candidates.
Not to brag, ahem, but this is an awesome job. The benefits are great, the working arrangements are flexible, and your coworkers are all super-smart and kind.
What will your life be like? (SPOILERS: pretty great, but not always a piece of cake)
- By building out our finance processes, you’ll help make sure Harvest is operating a sustainable and profitable business, allowing us to give back to our people through profit-sharing and our communities through our social good initiatives.
- You’ll own our Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable processes, making sure everyone who needs to get paid does, and that our vendors are living up to their agreements with us.
- Our customers rely on us for accurate and timely invoicing and superior support when they have issues or questions. You’ll partner with our Harvest Experts to make our billing and invoicing processes the best they can be.
- You’ll become our in-house travel & expenses specialist, meaning you’ll make sure we have flexible and thoughtful T&E policies and that Harvesters know how to use them.
- As the person responsible for Harvest’s payroll, you ensure that everyone is paid correctly and on time, always. You’ll also make sure that all independent contractors are set up correctly and get paid accurately and on-time, every time.
- You’ll work alongside our HR team to manage many of Harvest’s benefits plans, including our 401(k), FSA, and commuter benefits plans. And you’ll help evaluate and implement new ones.
- You’ll make sure we’re compliant by meeting monthly, quarterly, and annual filing requirements. You’ll make taxes not taxing. (We’re allowed some corny jokes, right?)
- You’ll share your favorite GIFs of dogs doing stuff in Slack. And kittens. And trash pandas...
What will you bring to Harvest?
- You treat people kindly and with respect, have a high level of integrity, and always assumes the best in others.
- You’re an exceptional communicator, particularly in structuring clear and compelling written communications.
- You operate with the utmost discretion and protect all confidential information.
- You have extensive knowledge of finance and accounting, and you know your way around a spreadsheet. Ideally you have operational experience, preferably with a small business or startup.
- You're familiar with nexus and how it impacts our state filings, when we should collect sales tax, and other financial compliance issues.
- You’re a hard worker with a history of getting things done carefully and efficiently. You’re thorough—no detail goes unnoticed.
- You’re a self-starter who prioritizes and manages multiple assignments and takes the initiative to get things done.
- You work independently but also enjoy contributing to a team.
- You are willing to learn current processes but have the initiative to own and develop new processes as the organization changes. And you’re comfortable with learning and using technology.
- You can commit to working with at least a four-hour overlap between 9 am and 5 pm Eastern Time.
One more thing and this is a big deal: if you are a member of a group that is historically underrepresented and disadvantaged in tech (and society generally, tbh), please know that we welcome your application with open and enthusiastically-waving arms. We want to meet you!
Moreover, while we’re on the topic, if you don’t celebrate people’s differences and don’t value the contributions of those who don’t look, sound, or act like you, Harvest isn’t going to be a good fit. When we come to work, we bring our full selves because that contributes to both the vibrancy and richness of our team. So if you want to work here, you should be actively excited about working with a group of people who strive to be inclusive.
You’re Interested! What’s Next?
- Tell us a bit about yourself and what you’d bring to the team.
- What do you love about working in Finance?
- You’re awesome and can work anywhere… why Harvest?
- Harvest HQ is home to a record player. What album would you contribute to our vinyl collection?
We have received a number of applications for this role and will not be able to respond to every candidate. However, we will reach out to you if we would like to move forward. Thank you for your patience.